St Nicholas Olave - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St Nicholas Olave

• The church was situated on the west side of Bread Street Hill.

• The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of London. By September 6 the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed in the Great Fire.

• In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. Fifty-one were chosen, but not St Nicholas Olave.

• Its unusual dedication refers to the earlier amalgamation between two parishes: St Nicholas and St Olave Bradestrat, which was removed by the Austin Friars for the erection of their monastic buildings.

• The parish had strong connections with the fishmongers, many of whom were buried in the churchyard. • Its eminent organist William Blitheman was also buried there.

• Following the fire it was united with St Nicholas Cole Abbey.


Powered by SmugMug Log In