St Mildred Poultry - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St Mildred Poultry

• St Mildred, Poultry was a parish church in the Cheap ward, of the City.

• The church stood the north side of Poultry and the first church can be traced back to 1175 but by 1456, in the reign of Henry II, it had fallen into disrepair, and had to be taken down and rebuilt.

• The medieval building was destroyed in the Great Fire in 1666, and a new church was completed in 1676 to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren, after which the parish was united with that of St Mary Colechurch, which was not rebuilt.

• George Godwin described the interior of the new church as "a simple room with a flat ceiling coved at the sides … remarkable for nothing but a strange want of symmetry apparent at the west end". The most ornamented part of the exterior was the south side, towards Poultry, with a central pediment and Ionic pilasters. There was a 75 foot high tower, topped by a copper weather-vane in the form of a ship.

• An organ was provided in the mid eighteenth century by George England. • The building was sold for £50,200 in 1871 under the Union of Benefices Act and demolished the following year. A City Corporation Plaque now marks the site.

• The parish was united with that of St Olave Old Jewry and the proceeds of the sale were used to build and endow the new church of St Paul, Goswell Road, which also received the City church's pulpit and woodwork. This was all destroyed during the bombing in World War II.

• The weather vane was transferred to St Olave Old Jewry and can still be seen on the tower in Ironmonger Lane.

• When the parish of St Olave also ceased to be viable, the combined parishes were in turn united with St Margaret Lothbury


Powered by SmugMug Log In