St Matthew Bethnal Green - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St Matthew Bethnal Green

• In Bethnal Green churches include St Matthew - built by George Dance the Elder in 1746.

• St Matthew is the mother church of Bethnal Green; the church's opening coincided with a vast population increase in the former village of Stepney, resulting in the need to separate the area around Bethnal Green from the mother Parish of St Dunstan's, Stepney.

• All but the bell tower, still standing today, was destroyed by fire and the church again suffered devastating damage during the bombing campaigns of the Second World War, resulting in the installation of a temporary church within the bombed-out building.

• St. Matthew's remains a major beacon of the local East End community and is frequented on Sundays and other religious occasions by a mixture of established locals and more recent migrants to the area.


Powered by SmugMug Log In