St John Wapping - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St John Wapping

• The church of St John's took a direct hit from an incendiary bomb during the Second World War and now only the original tower remains.

• The Blue Coat School and the Church are now converted to apartments.

• The church of Saint John of Wapping was constructed in 1617 as a chapel of ease to Saint Mary, Whitechapel.

• At Execution Dock many pirates were hanged.

• It was assigned a separate parish in 1694. The building was replaced in 1756-60 on a site opposite the old church. Most of the building was destroyed during the Second World War; however, the tower survived and was restored.

• The parish was united with Saint Peter, London Docks


Powered by SmugMug Log In