St George the Martyr Queen Square
• St George the Martyr Queen’s Square is located at the south end of Queen Square, Holborn, in the London Borough of Camden. It is dedicated to Saint George and is so-called to distinguish it from the later nearby church of St. George's Bloomsbury, with which it shared a burial ground (now St George's Gardens)
• The church was built in 1703–6 by Arthur Tooley, as a chapel of ease to St Andrew, Holborn. Tooley was paid £3,500 to build the chapel and two houses by a group of fifteen trustees including Sir Streynsham Master. It was later bought by the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches and became a parish church in 1723, receiving the dedication to St George, in honour of Streynsham’s governorship of Fort St George in India. The antiquary William Stukeley was the rector there.
• The church was remodelled in the early nineteenth century with the addition of a bell-tower and two frontages onto what had previously been a plain brick building. In 1867-9 S.Teulon almost entirely changed the exterior, removed the galleries and added the present columns and roof.
• It was at this church that Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath married in 1956.The church was designated a Grade II listed building on 24 October 1951.