St Faith under St Paul's - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St Faith under St Paul's

• St Faith under St Paul’s in Castle Baynard Ward was an unusual parish within the City. It had been physically removed in 1256 to allow for the eastern expansion of the Old St Paul’s Cathedral. Until the reign of Edward VI the parishioners worshipped at the end of the west crypt under St Paul’s Quire.

• There are mosaics on the floor in the crypt outlining the area of the church (photograph below) and there are also tombs and monuments from the church which have survived.

• The well-known diarist of the Long Parliament, Sir Simonds d’Ewes, attended the wedding of his father Paul and his step-mother, Lady Elizabeth Denton, in "St. Faith's under St. Paul's" on March 5, 1623, and Sir Simonds's younger sister Mary also married there on December 4, 1626.

• The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the Parish Clerk’s Company, shows 97 parishes within the City of which St Faith was one.

• From the reign of Edward VI until the Great Fire the parishioners, mostly booksellers in Paternoster Row, worshiped in the church and indeed when the fire approached stored many of their valuable documents there, sadly all was lost in the flames. After the fire the parish was united with St Augustine Watling Street.

• Partial records survive at The British Library along with drawing by Thomas Kerrich.


Powered by SmugMug Log In