Christ Church Southwark
• Christ Church Southwark is situated on the west side of Blackfriars Road, when it was built there was no bridge at Blackfriars and so no major road connected the area to the south or to the City.
• The parish of Christ Church, Surrey was created by Act in 1682 in the manor of Paris Garden as a result of the gift under the direction of the executors of John Marshall, a member of a Southwark family of ‘whitebakers’. This was previously part of the St Saviour’s parish. His will, of 1627, directed that a new church should be built and a Rector be appointed and paid for in the Manor, the most easterly part of St Saviour's parish. He died in 1631, the church was built in 1671. Paris Garden is mentioned by Shakespeare in his play Henry VIII as being at that time a disreputable place. Its jurisdiction was outside that of the Bishop of Winchester's to the east and the Archbishop of Canterbury's Manor of Lambeth to the west.
• The charity still exists and the first charge on the charity is the maintenance of Christchurch which was completely rebuilt in 1738. The first had been built on marshy ground and by the 1720s was in a poor condition and collapsed. By an Act of Parliament dated 1738, the trustees were empowered to demolish the church and rebuild it in an improved enclosure. By 1741 the new Christ Church had been completed in Italian Romanesque style with a clock tower rising in three stages from the ground, surmounted by an octagonal lantern and cupola.
• The modern church building was constructed in 1958 following the total destruction of the old church in the Blitz in 1941.
• Marshall is commemorated in the porch of the church by his coat of arms and also the church hall is also named after him. It is also the home of the South London Industrial Mission.