At Alphage London Wall - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

St Alphage London Wall

• The church was so called because it sat right on London Wall, the City of London boundary. It is sometimes referred to as St Alphege, using an alternative spelling of the Saint's name. • The parish of St Alphage used two churches successively, moving from its original building to a former priory church nearby after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

• The first church was built adjoining the London Wall, with the wall forming its northern side. The churchyard lay to the north of the wall. The earliest mention of this church dates to c. 1108-25, though it is said that it was established before 1068. The church was closed by Act of Parliament at the end of the sixteenth century and demolished. The London Wall was left standing. The site of the church became a carpenter's yard. In 1837 it was laid out as a public garden, which remains today, with a preserved section of the London Wall on its north edge.

• The second church began as the Priory Church the (probably Benedictine) nunnery of St Mary-within-Cripplegate. This was possibly founded before 1000, but by 1329 the community had fallen into decay. The land passed into the hands of William Elsing, who founded a hospital on the site, Elsing Spital, in 1331. Originally a secular establishment, it was taken over by Augustinian priors and monks in 1340. The hospital closed in 1536, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries. After the closure of the original Church of St Alphage, the Priory Church became the new Parish Church. It was damaged but not destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.

• In 1774 the church was found to be unfit for use, and a committee was set up to arrange its rebuilding. This was done a cost of £1350, retaining the tower. The new church was opened on 24 July 1777.

• The church was damaged in an air raid in the First World War. In 1917 the Parish was amalgamated with that of St Mary Aldermanbury.

• The tower was gutted by fire in 1940.

• The remains of the church were designated a Grade II listed structure on 4 January 1950. The surviving remnants of these consist of the ruin of a central tower, built of flint and rubble masonry, with arches on three sides; the south wall is missing.

• In 1954 the amalgamated parish was united with St Giles Cripplegate .


Powered by SmugMug Log In