All Hallows the Less
• All-Hallows-the-Less (also known as All-Hallows-upon-the-Cellar) was situated on the south side of Thames Street, and built above an arch leading to a grand house known as Cold Harbour which leads to the river in a district known as The Ropery.
• The first mention of the church is in 1216 and in 1387 two adjacent houses were given to the parish to expand the church. In 1594 the parishioners were able to begin a building programme which lasted over 30 years and which transformed the formerly gloomy interior, with the addition of galleries in 1633.
• The church was one of 86 that were destroyed during the Great Fire of London, All Hallows the Less was among those never rebuilt, the parish instead united to All Hallows the Great. The Union of Benefices Act 1860 deemed All Hallows the Great surplus to requirements and merged it, along with the remains of All-Hallows-the-Less, into St Michael Paternoster Royal. In 1896 many bodies were disinterred from the churchyard and reburied at Brookwood Cemetery. The final physical evidence that the church had ever existed, an old watch house was destroyed during the Second World War.