All Hallows Lombard Street - The Worshipful Company of Parish Clerks

All Hallows Lombard Street

• All Hallows Lombard Street was a City church in Langbourn Ward on the corner of Lombard Street and Gracechurch Street London. Its tower, bells and complete interior fittings are now part of All Hallows, Twickenham.

• It was mentioned in many guides as, perhaps, the supreme example of subtle beauty within the "Square Mile". Hemmed in on all sides by City buildings it was known as the “Hidden Church”. The church was first mentioned in 1054 as in the gift of Christchurch Canterbury. The church was gradually added to until a bell tower was added in 1544. The church was badly damaged in the Great Fire and rebuilt in 1694 at a cost of £8,058 15s. 6d.

• An entry in the Parish record Book for 28th of December 1789 states that John Wesley preached at Evensong. He recalled an earlier incident where, just as he was about to preach, he realised he had forgotten his sermon and confided this to the attendant verger. The reply came,”What, cannot you trust God for a sermon?” and upon this rebuke Wesley went into the pulpit and preached with much freedom and acceptance; and from that time he never took a manuscript with him.

• After the First World War the church was earmarked, despite fierce opposition, for demolition. In 1937 the church was found to be unsafe and demolished, the tower, porch and furnishings recycled in the construction of All Hallows, Twickenham. The Parish, as stipulated under the Union of Benefices Act 1860, was adjoined to a suitably near neighbour, St Edmund King and Martyr, now a Centre for Spirituality.


Tower at Twickenham

Powered by SmugMug Log In